M.S. in Materials Science and Engineering,
Cornell University, 2016
Alex is a NIH fellow and Ph.D. candidate working on the characterization and synthesis of interfacial tissue systems. He has developed a protocol for spatially mapping the strains and constituents across the meniscal enthesis, the attachment point of the meniscus into the tibia in the knee, during tensile loading. He also is working to design a meniscal enthesis construct using kinetic and mechanical principles and is developing techniques for spatially correlating compositional and mechanical properties in in native articular cartilage and cartilage repair models. Alex works jointly in the Estroff Group in Materials Science and Engineering.
- AJ Boys, M Walsh, “Materials Science for Introducing Engineering Design at an Earlier Age,” Submitted, 2018.
- AJ Boys, JAMR Kunitake, CR Henak, I Cohen, LA Estroff, LJ Bonassar, “Understanding the Stiff-to-compliant Transition of the Meniscal Attachments through Spatial Correlation of Composition, Structure, and Mechanics,” Submitted, 2018.
- AJ Boys*, MC McCorry*, S Rodeo, LJ Bonassar, LA Estroff, “Next Generation Tissue Engineering of Orthopedic Soft Tissue-to-Bone Interfaces,” MRS Communications, 7: 289 – 308, 2017.
- AJ Boys, RM Irwin, I Cohen, LA Estroff, LJ Bonassar, “Microscale compositional mapping predicts local mechanics across the interface of autologous chondrocyte transplantation (ACT) repair,” World Congress of Biomechanics, Dublin, Ireland, 2018.
- AJ Boys, JAMR Kunitake, LJ Bonassar, LA Estroff, “Characterization of Compositional Gradients by Raman Spectromicroscopy of the Meniscal Entheses,” 12th ICCBMT, Potsdam, Germany, 2017, Podium Presentation.
- AJ Boys, JAMR Kunitake, LA Estroff, LJ Bonassar, “Raman Microscopy Reveals Local Morphological Features in the Meniscal Entheses,” ORS 2017 Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA, 2017, Late-breaking Podium Presentation.
- AJ Boys, CR Henak, I Cohen, LA Estroff, LJ Bonassar. “High Resolution Strain Mapping of the Meniscal Entheses,” ORS 2016 Annual Meeting, Orlando, FL, 2016, Podium Presentation.
- AJ Boys, CZ Zhao, KM Chan, LA Estroff, LJ Bonassar, “Linear Regression of High Resolution Raman Data of Cartilage Enables Mapping of Molecular Constituents,” ORS 2018 Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA, 2018, Poster.
- RM Irwin*, AJ Boys*, LA Estroff, LJ Bonassar, “Microscale Correlative Analysis of Mechanics and Composition on the Integration of Repaired and Native Cartilage,” ORS Upstate New York and Northeast Regional Symposium, Rochester, NY, 2017, Poster.
- KM Chan, AJ Boys, LJ Bonassar, LA Estroff, “Characterization of Articular Cartilage by Raman Spectromicroscopy,” 2016 BMES Annual Meeting, Minneapolis, MN, Poster.
- AJ Boys, JAMR Kunitake, GR Waidyaratne, I Cohen, LJ Bonassar, LA Estroff, “Characterizing the Structure-Function Relationship of the Meniscal Entheses via Microstrain Mapping and Raman Spectroscopy,” MRS 2015 Fall Meeting, Boston, MA, 2015, Poster.
Honors and Awards
- NIH F31 Fellowship
- ICCBMT Travel Award
- Donald E. and Lauren B. Morel Graduate Fellowship in Materials Science
- NSF EAPSI Fellowship
- Bradley Stoughton Student Award
- Dow Scholarship
- John McMullen Scholarship
- 3rd Place PMAD Challenge
- Tau Beta Pi
- Lehigh In-house Metals Award
- Alpha Sigma Mu
- 2nd Place PMAD Challenge
- Phi Eta Sigma
Alex is from Schwenksville, PA. He went to Lehigh University in Bethlehem, PA for his undergraduate degree. He enjoys playing soccer and various other sports. Alex is involved in outreach at Cornell, designing primary education classroom laboratory activities to introduce students to engineering and design principles.