A.S. in Engineering
Cochise College, 2019
B.S in Biomedical Engineering
The University of Arizona, 2022
email@example.com | Twitter: @cyurrea_
Carlos is a second year Ph.D. candidate studying enthesis zonal differentiation in tissue engineered meniscus.
- Carlos Urrea De La Puerta, Bumjoon Kim, Cynthia Ge, Paige Rudy, Nicholas Quatraro, Minkyu Kim. The Effect of Dissolved Oxygen in Recombinant Keratin Synthesis for Biomimetic Coatings. Undergraduate Biology Research Program Conference, University of Arizona, January 2022
- Carlos Urrea De La Puerta, Yuxiao Zhou, Warren Grayson. Longitudinal Analysis of Bone Regeneration Around Zygoma Bone Defect Model using Image Segmentation. Johns Hopkins Career, Academic, and Research Experiences for Students (CARES) Symposium, July 2021
- Carlos Urrea De La Puerta, Bumjoon Kim, Samuel Kim, Minkyu Kim. Parameter Optimization for Antimicrobial Protein Synthesis. Annual Biomedical Research Conference for Minority Students (ABRCMS). Online, November 2020
- Carlos Urrea De La Puerta, Samuel Kim, Minkyu Kim. Design Principles of Functional Protein Hydrogels for Tunable Biomaterials. Undergraduate Research Opportunities Consortium Colloquium, University of Arizona, August 2020
Honors and Awards
- National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship Program, 2023
- Cornell Engineering Colman Fellowship (2022)
Carlos grew up in Magdalena de Kino, Sonora, Mexico and moved to the US to start his undergraduate studies. He received a BS in Biomedical Engineering with minors in Math and Biochemistry from The University of Arizona. During his undergraduate studies, Carlos participated in the NIH MARC program, studied recombinant protein synthesis for polymeric biomaterials and completed a summer project analyzing craniofacial bone regeneration. He was involved with outreach programs in the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE). In his free time, Carlos enjoys hiking, watching movies, playing video games, and traveling.