B.S. in Biomedical Engineering – University of Rochester, 2015
M.S. in Biomedical Engineering – Cornell University, 2018
Stephen is a fifth year PhD candidate interested broadly in tissue engineering for orthopedic applications. His research focuses on regenerative therapies for the intervertebral discs of the spine using novel biomaterials.
- Sloan SR, Khalifa Y, Buckley MR. The Location-and Depth-Dependent Mechanical Response of the Human Cornea Under Shear Loading. Investigative ophthalmology & visual science 2014.
- Sloan SR, Galesso D, Secchieri C, Berlin C, Hartl R, Bonassar LJ. Initial Investigation of Individual and Combined Annulus Fibrosus and Nucleus Pulposus Repair Ex Vivo. Acta biomaterialia 2017.
- Pennicooke B, Hussain I, Berlin C, Sloan SR, Borde B, Moriguchi Y, Lang G, Navarro-Ramirez R, Cheetham J, Bonassar LJ, Härtl R. Annulus Fibrosus Repair Using High-Density Collagen Gel: An In Vivo Ovine Model. Spine 2017.
- Sloan SR, Bonassar LJ. Learning from Successes of Tissue Engineering Strategies for Cartilaginous Disorders. Biological Approaches to Spinal Disc Repair and Regeneration for Clinicians. 1 ed. New York: Thieme; 2017. pp. 82.
- Navarro-Ramirez R, Berlin C, Lang G, Hussain I, Janssen I, Sloan SR, Askin G, Avila M, Zubkov M, Härtl R. A new volumetric radiological method to assess indirect decompression after XLIF using a high resolution intraoperative CT. World neurosurgery 2017.
- Sloan SR, Lintz M, Hussain I, Härtl R, Bonassar LJ. Biologic Annulus Fibrosus Repair: A Review of Preclinical In Vivo Investigations. Tissue Engineering 2017.
- Ramirez-Garcia MA, Sloan SR, Nidenberg B, Khalifa Y, Buckley MR. Depth-Dependent Out-of-Plane Young’s Modulus of the Human Cornea. Current Eye Research 2017.
- Moriguchi Y, Borde BH, Berlin C, Wipplinger C, Sloan SR, Kirnaz S, Pennicooke B, Navarro-Ramirez R, Khair T, Grunert P, Kim EE, Bonassar LJ, Härtl R. In Vivo Annular Repair using High-Density Collagen Gel Seeded with Annulus Fibrosus Cells. Acta Biomateriala 2018.
- Hussain I*, Sloan SR*, Wipplinger C, Navarro-Ramirez R, Zubkov M, Kim EE, Kirnaz S, Bonassar L, Härtl R. Mesenchymal Stem Cell-Seeded High-Density Collagen Gel for Annular Repair: 6 Week Results from In Vivo Sheep Models. Neurosurgery 2018. *Authors contributed equally
- Jiang E*, Sloan SR*, Wipplinger C, Kirnaz S, Härtl R, Proteoglycan Removal by Chondroitinase ABC Improves Injectable Collagen Gel Adhesion to Annulus Fibrosus. Acta Biomateriala Accepted 2019. *Authors contributed equally
- Sloan SR*, Wipplinger C*, Kirnaz S, Navarro-Ramirez R, Schmidt F, McCloskey D, Schiavinato A, Härtl R, Bonassar L. Combined Nucleus Pulposus Augmentation and Annulus Fibrosus Repair to Prevent Intervertebral Disc Degeneration after Discectomy. Submitted 2019. *Authors contributed equally
Honors and Awards
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Tau Beta Pi
- Best Podium Presentation – Philadelphia Spine Research Symposium, 2017, 2018
Stephen grew up in Western New York and enjoys skiing, hiking, wine tasting, and playing music. He is a member of Cornell’s student run venture capital fund and loves exploring the waterfalls of Ithaca.